The Dun Emer Press produced limited editions of books, printed by hand in the manner of William Morris's Kelmscott Press. The texts it published were written or selected by W. B. Yeats, who was the press's literary editor and who also subsidized its operations, which lacked profitability. In its prospectus issued early in 1903, the press boasted of "a good eighteenth century fount of type" and "paper made of linen rags and without bleaching chemicals".
As well as books, the Press also printed broadsheets designed by Jack Yeats, and hand-coloured greeting cards. In 1908, after the Press had produced eleven literary titles, the different elements of the Dun Emer studio separated completely, with Gleeson retaining the Dun Emer name. The Yeats sisters left Dundrum and took the new name Cuala for their operations, Elizabeth establishing the Cuala Press at Churchtown, Dublin.